The Top 7 Air Conditioning Mistakes to Avoid
It’s time to think about air conditioning – hurrah! Okay, you may not be thrilled that the hot summer days are almost upon us, but it’s part of living in Central Pennsylvania. Therefore, you just have to make the best of it.
One of the smartest things you can do, of course, is to avoid making air conditioning mistakes. But you have to know what they are before you can address them. That’s why SECCO Home Services has put together the top 7 air conditioning mistakes to avoid this year:
- Buying the Wrong Type of Air Conditioning Unit for Your House – Make sure you take into consideration the size and style of your home before adding an air conditioning unit, whether it’s a traditional one, a window unit or a ductless system.
- Not Having Your Air Conditioning Unit Serviced – This is a huge error that’s made by many homeowners. Don’t gamble with your hard-earned money. Get a spring tune-up!
- Blocking Your Air Vents/Returns – You’ve spent money to ensure your air conditioning unit is working properly, so make sure you haven’t blocked off the air flow. Check to see if pieces of furniture are suffocating your air vents.
- Not Using a Programmable Thermostat – Programmable thermostats are definitely your best friend! They can help you make sure you aren’t cooling an empty house, and they’ll save you bundles of money that’s better spent on your summer vacation!
- Turning Your House into a Refrigerator – Sure, you want to stay cool, but do you REALLY need the temperature to be in the low 60s? Try upping the temperature a bit; you’ll still be comfortable, and you won’t be overusing your equipment.
- Not Taking Advantage of Ceiling Fans – Your ceiling fans can assist you in distributing cooler air throughout your house. Just make sure you run them backwards for the summer months.
- Putting a Window Air Conditioner in the Wrong Place – If you use window air conditioning units, make sure they are put in a good place to work optimally. For instance, if your air conditioner is exposed all day to sunlight, it won’t work as efficiently.
Remember – summer is a great time to have fun in the sun, but when you need a cool spot to hang out, there’s nothing better than a comfy, air conditioned room!