22 Weeks of Summer: Post #9 – Save on Energy Costs When the Mercury Rises
Yup, it’s getting hotter and hotter, but that doesn’t have to mean that your savings account gets smaller and smaller! There are many practical, easy-to-implement ways to save on energy costs when the mercury hits 80 or higher.
- Close the doors and windows when you’re using the AC. This will keep you from “cooling the outdoors”, as mom used to say!
- During the hottest part of the day (usually noon-3:00 p.m.), keep your window shades down or curtains closed. This will help keep the room cooler.
- Invest in a programmable thermostat, especially if there are periods of time when no one is at the house.
- Don’t cook during the day. The heat from the stove will encourage you to turn up the AC.
- Always keep water on hand, and drink it frequently throughout the day to cool your body naturally.
- If you have overhead fans, use them to help cool rooms.
- Wear light clothing around the house, such as shorts instead of jeans.
How do you stay cool when the weather is miserably hot? Let us know by adding a comment.