Is Your Yard Safe For Holiday Decorations?
The holidays are upon us and it’s time to bring out the decorations and trimmings for your yard. But before you untangle your lights and scale any ladders, make sure you are practicing safety first with your equipment.
Remember to follow these tips when decorating your yard this season:
- Make sure all lights and decorations are rated for outdoor use.
- Outdoor electric lights should be plugged into circuits protected by Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI’s).
- All outdoor receptacles should be covered (in case of rain or snow).
- Inspect all decorations for damages before using.
- Keep all extension cords and light strings away from water or snow.
- Make sure spotlights are properly ventilated and a safe distance from anything flammable.
- Keep decorations and equipment at least 10 feet away from power lines.
- Make sure cords aren’t pinched by any heavy objects or furniture (damaging the cords insulation). Also, don’t hang light strings with nails or staples, they could also damage the cords insulation and present a fire hazard.
- Always unplug electrical decorations before replacing bulbs or fuses.